Monday 12 May 2008

Lunch in Hong Kong

When I was at school I had a penpal
in Hong Kong, and so I read much about the nightlife, the fascinating harbour,
the chatter, bustling streets, the trams, the Peak
and when I first arrived and stayed on Nathan Road, I was not disappointed at all

That visit was the first of many
I started a book on Hong Kong, met the Trade Development Board,
was invited to be a Member of the Foreign Correspondent's Club and spent many
hours there
in Ice House Street
Later I stayed at The Hilton, went out in its Yacht,
published a card of one of my drawings of Saint John's Cathedral and took many photographs and made drawings
in this unique City
I had met Sally Aw Sian owner of Sing Tao newspapers
I
met the Editor of the South China Post
Later I stayed at one Hotel which always stands out in my memory
The Mandarin
of all the hotels in which I have stayed I think that The Mandarin has a special charm
however I also enjoyed evening trips on the Star Ferry with the local people as they journied from one
part of Hong Kong to the other

This photograph is from the first visit when I went
to Chinese opera with two people from New Zealand,
ate in the floating restaurant
as many first time visitors do, went up the Peak in the train..........................










Posted by Picasa

No comments: